Friday, February 12, 2010

The Juggling Act and Weekend Warriors

Originally written on 9/16/09, taken from my myspace blog


Making films can be some of the hardest things for a person to do. It is strenuous. Its laborious. And it can be detrimental to ones mental health. (I'm literally crazy) But really, filmmaking is not one thing, its a bunch of things. People can say deep down, its storytelling. I say otherwise. Its much more than an art. Its everything you have ever learned in your life: Writing what you know, what you've been though. Its pulling aspects of your story from you own life. Its the way your social skills developed in order to meet people, cast them, direct them, work with them and eventually help advertise. Its juggling ten things at once. Seriously, every aspect of production is linked with one another, each one needs to work together and independently at the same time. If the script sucks, you're fucked from the start. if the actors suck, you cant save it in post. You can have great cinematography, but you can still fuck up the sound. you need everything.... and you need to be good at everything.... It doesnt make any sense if you're a director but cant operate a camera. it doesnt make any sense if your a cinematographer but dont know how to edit. I fucking hate directors that dont do shit. get dirty with us. I hate cinematographers that dont know shit about lights. I hate writers that write scripts that are basically about nothing. I hate editors that cant mix their own sound. I hate actors that don't know that they shouldn't act. I hate the filmmaker's equivalent to the weekend warrior. Half-assers that think they "know whats up". We live, breathe, and eat this shit.


I'm sorry if i sound angry, its just a meaningless rant... but honestly, if you think that the above offended you, and you might think that I'm targeting some people... I'm not. I mentioned no names.... BUT if you do think that im talking about you, then i must have called you out on one of your own faults.... fucking do something about it. prove me wrong...

1 comment: